Today you will not surprise anyone with the fact that buckwheat is not only brown, but also green. Although 60 years ago, it was brown buckwheat that was a curiosity.
What is the use of green buckwheat? How is green cereal different from brown? Can you lose weight with green buckwheat? And can everyone use this product? Let’s figure it out now!
How is green buckwheat different from brown?
- Grains of brown buckwheat undergo high-temperature heat treatment, during which they lose up to 30% of biologically active substances. And this is a lot, you must agree! Green buckwheat is considered “alive”, it contains all the nutrients, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- The shell of buckwheat grains contains rutin, quercetin and other flavonoids, which:
- protect cells from the negative effects of free radicals,
- reduce the amount of “bad” cholesterol in the blood,
- strengthen the walls of blood vessels,
- increase the body’s defenses.
- However, when heat treated, the flavonoids are destroyed.
- The taste of green buckwheat is more delicate and piquant, especially in sprouted grains with a milky taste.
- Green buckwheat can be eaten raw (sprouted) as a side dish, an additive to salads and an ingredient for cocktails. We will tell you how to germinate green buckwheat further.
- Green buckwheat has a shorter shelf life – a year. Green cereals are stored in a canvas bag or glass container in a dry, dark place. If stored improperly, cereals, along with a green tint, will also lose rutin.
- The cost of green buckwheat is higher than brown cereal, although it goes through less production processes, that is, it should cost less. But the short shelf life and the healthy lifestyle propaganda factor make their own adjustments in pricing, making green cereals more valuable in the eyes of the buyer.
We examined the main differences between the two types of buckwheat. Let’s move on to the benefits of green buckwheat.
The benefits of green buckwheat
Eating 100 g of green buckwheat per day, you will replenish up to 80% of the daily value of manganese, 37% iron, 50% magnesium, 45% vitamin E, 26% vitamin B1.
Iron normalizes hemoglobin levels and prevents the development of iron deficiency anemia.
Calcium and magnesium strengthen bones, nails, hair and teeth, ensure the full functioning of the kidneys and urinary system, cleanse the body of metabolites, and help the absorption of vitamins and other minerals.
But! These antagonist minerals work harmoniously only when they enter the body in a 1: 2 ratio (that is, one part of magnesium accounts for 2 parts of calcium).
With a magnesium deficiency, calcium is not fully absorbed and is deposited in the form of salts in joints, soft tissues, blood vessels, and heart muscle. This leads to arthrosis, kidney stones, arrhythmias, hypertension, strokes and heart attacks.
Vitamin E regulates the functioning of the nervous system, increases stress resistance, protects cell membranes from free radicals, is responsible for collagen synthesis and skin regeneration.
Green buckwheat has a high content of B vitamins. They are involved in the process of hematopoiesis and metabolic processes, promote the synthesis of insulin, testosterone, estrogen and other hormones. Do you want to improve the condition of the epidermis, hair and nails? Eat buckwheat daily!
Green buckwheat contains the flavonoid rutin (17 times more in the shell of the grain than in the kernel). Benefits of a routine:
- Strengthens the walls of blood vessels, making them more elastic.
- Improves blood circulation and venous return.
- Normalizes blood pressure.
- Reduces intraocular pressure.
- Relieves vascular spasm.
- It has anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and decongestant properties.
- Improves the absorption of vitamin C and iodine.
Note: rutin in the composition of drugs is obtained from buckwheat. Therefore, if you suffer from varicose veins, cardiovascular pathologies, to improve your condition, enrich your diet with green buckwheat.
Green buckwheat is rich in lignans – plant hormones that fight free radicals, have antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial action. By the way, the amount of lignans in sprouted buckwheat doubles!
Organic acids in green buckwheat eliminate constipation and improve digestion by stimulating the production of digestive juice. Just 100 – 150 g of green buckwheat per day will help solve problems with irregular bowel movements and flatulence.
Green buckwheat is rich in essential amino acids:
- lysine is necessary for the synthesis of protein – the building material for our body;
- Isoleucine increases stamina and energy, promotes tissue regeneration;
- valine is responsible for the metabolism and construction of body tissues;
- threonine provides the immune system;
- leucine stimulates protein synthesis, slows down muscle degradation and promotes muscle gain;
- tryptophan calms the nervous system and normalizes sleep;
- methionine protects liver cells from fatty degeneration.
In terms of the amount of fiber, green buckwheat surpasses such cereals as rice, oats, millet, pearl barley. Fiber absorbs water, increasing the volume of feces, which move faster through the intestines. As a result, the work of the gastrointestinal tract is normalized and the risk of constipation is reduced.
Fiber slows down the absorption of glucose and cholesterol into the blood from the intestines, thereby preventing a sharp increase in blood glucose. Therefore, buckwheat is indicated for people with diabetes.
Buckwheat contains no gluten (gluten), so it is indicated for people with celiac disease (gluten intolerance).
Lose weight on green buckwheat
Raw green buckwheat contains about 330 kcal and 3.3 g of fat.
Despite the high number of calories, you will not get better on raw green buckwheat. This cereal contains fiber that gently cleanses the intestines and speeds up metabolism, so that fat will burn quickly, and not be deposited in the waist area.
Complex carbohydrates in green cereals take a long time to be absorbed, so you will be full for a long time and forget about snacks.
The amino acids arginine, methionine and threonine stimulate muscle protein synthesis and promote fat burning.
If you want to lose up to 5 kg comfortably and without stress for the body in 2 weeks by normalizing bowel function and reducing the absorption of cholesterol, try the buckwheat diet. It is easily tolerated, especially if you diversify the diet with vegetables and boiled chicken fillets.
The basic version of the buckwheat diet menu:
- Breakfast: steamed green buckwheat and 200 ml of green tea.
- First snack: a glass of 1% kefir.
- Lunch: steamed green buckwheat, 200 g of boiled chicken fillet, vegetables.
- Second snack: a glass of 1% kefir.
- Dinner: steamed green buckwheat and 200 ml of green tea.
Salt, sugar, butter will have to be abandoned! You can give green buckwheat a rich taste by adding vegetables, fruits or berries to it (it all depends on your taste preferences).
Do you want to lose 7 – 10 kg in 2 weeks? Exclude from the diet all products, except for green buckwheat and kefir. You can wash down the steamed buckwheat porridge with kefir, or you can pour the cereal with kefir in the evening and insist in the refrigerator until morning.
The main thing: do not eat 3 – 4 hours before bedtime and do not drink more than 1 liter of kefir per day.
So that such a poor diet does not quickly get bored, and you do not break off prematurely, it is recommended to diversify the menu with sprouted grains of green buckwheat.
Important! Sprouted green buckwheat should not be consumed in unlimited quantities, so as not to provoke digestive problems. The recommended volume is 100 – 150 g of green sprouted buckwheat per day.
You can practice this diet twice a year.